WHAT IS A YELLOW JACKET®?
A patent protected* prefabricated pile sleeve utilized to reduce the negative skin friction on piles embedded behind MSE bridge abutments. The Yellow Jacket™ provides a slip plane between the settling abutment select backfill and the driven bridge abutment piles, resulting in a significant reduction of the downdrag imposed on the piles.
THE PROBLEM: DOWNDRAG
WHAT IS DOWNDRAG? Settlement of soil after piles are driven applies additional loads to piles. The additional load is caused by the friction or adhesion between the pile and the downward moving soil. Downdrag may also be referred to as:
- Negative skin friction
- Negative shaft resistance
Downdrag load on a pile is the sum of the negative shaft resistance along the length of the pile where the soil is moving downward relative to the pile.
|Method||Plastic Pipe & Sand Pile Can||Corrugated Pipe & Sand Pile Can||Bituminous Coating|
|Cost*||$42.50 / LF||$53.50 / LF||$25.00 / LF|
* Cost estimates are average costs as of the date of publication, estimates include material, equipment, mobilization, and average labor costs
|Cost||< $10.00 / LF|
SAMPLE BRIDGE PROJECT
# of Piles - 20
LF of Pile exposed to new fill - 25'
Total LF - 500'
|Method||Total Cost||YJ Savings||% Savings|
|Plastic Pipe & Sand Pile Can||$21,250||$16,250||76%|
|Corrugated Pipe & Sand Pile Can||$26,750||$21,750||81%|
|Yellow Jacket™||< $5,000|
The Right Solution
- Yellow Jacket® is a preformed thermosplastic extrusion that is infused with a proprietary lucricant during the thermoset manufacturing process.
- Sheets cut and fabricated to accommodate any specific pile group.
- Readily available in common H-Pile Sections: 10 x 42, 12 x 53, 14 x 73 & Pipe Pile Sections: 12" - 18"
- U.V. Stabilized
- Indefinite lifespan
- Technical data available upon request.
- Substantial cost savings vs. other methods
- Fast Installation
- Minimal installation costs
- Environmentally Friendly
- Durable, easily stored, lightweight, waterproof, highly resistant to corrosion and chemicals common to construction
- Provides an excellent slip plane between the earth and piling
- Simple and safe solution for reducing downdrag
- Eliminates design problems associated with adjacent piling too close for conventional cans
- Easily and quickly installed in seconds increasing job productivity
- Rapid assembly combined with low labor and “NO” equipment requirements result in project cost savings
- No mess, no hazardous exposure to workforce and no concerns maintaining proper mil thickness requirements as with Bitumen coatings
THE COMPANY WE KEEP