Alabama Marine Resources Headquarters
The Alabama Marine Resources Division manages Alabama's marine fisheries, but their headquarters was starting to experience foundation failure. The existing concrete sheet piling and deadman tieback system was 50 years old and gradually failing. The new tieback system would need to be installed between the existing deadman tieback system and the building foundations. The soils were relatively weak and laden with debris.
New vinyl sheet piling was installed in front of existing concrete sheets. The new sheets were anchored from shore side with 1.25" solid square shaft helical tieback anchors using a 6,000 ft-lb hydraulic motor attached to a mini-excavator. This corrected the problem and restored the structure to like-new condition.
- CHANCE® Helical Tieback Anchors (68 ea.)
- Helix Configuration: 10", 12", 14" Lead section with 16" helical extension
- Shaft Material Type – SS125 (1.25" x 1.25" solid square shaft)
- Average 48 ft. installation length at 15° from horizontal
- 14.5 Kip working/-29 Kip ultimate per anchor
- All anchors port-tensioned immediately to 125% working load